Have you tried the menu inspired by “The Hobbit: an Unexpected Journey” at Denny’s? I haven’t yet! I had heard the buzz about it since November, when it launched. With Peter Jackson’s film opening today, the idea really spoke to both, my inner geek and my stomach, especially when I was offered this recipe to share!
I typically write about Latin American food, food as a cultural artifact or an element of national identity. After obsessing for a few days over how to make a sound argument for this post, I finally realized that the brilliant contribution of my beloved paisano Guillermo del Toro to the movie, was probably the only Latin American ingredient I would find in the whole story. I then decided that this post was fair game considering that after all, this a dish from a magical place called Middle Earth, which could very well be anywhere. Plus, this recipe looks like great fun for kids of any age, Spanish-speaking or not, and leaves plenty of room for a creative touch of salsa Tabasco or a side of rajitas de chiles jalapeños.
Food as cultural artifact? Check. Talk about life imitating art!
I am planning on trying the “Middle-Earth” menu at Denny´s over the weekend. I just went to their site and found out they have an item called ”The Ring Burger”. Now, that´s just precious!
Hobbit Hole Breakfast Recipe
1 cheddar bun
1 T. butter or margarine Two eggs
1. Slice cheddar bun and put both halves on a cutting board.
2. Using a biscuit cutter, juice glass or knife, press into center of bun crown. Remove center and set
3. Melt butter or margarine onto skillet. Place both bun halves and the center from crown into
margarine, cut-side down.
4. Immediately crack 1 egg into each of the two holes. 5. Cook for 1:30 minute. Flip and cook for 1:00 minute on the second side, until egg is over medium.
For the full dish: Frozen hash browns 1⁄4 c. shredded cheddar cheese 1 strip bacon, diced
Choice of 2 slices of bacon or 2 sausage links
1. Prepare hash browns. Evenly top with cheese and diced bacon. Cook for 1:00 minute, or until cheese is melted.
2. Cook choice of meat according to package instructions.
3. Plate dish with hash browns, choice of meat and Hobbit Holes.