Very close to el Día de la Candelaria, when Mexicans celebrate the end of the Christmas season with tamales, a party of a very different ‘religion’ takes place: the Superbowl.
The already amalgamated celebration of Día de la Candelaria, fuses the pre-Columbian tradition of making food and other offerings to several deities, along with the presentation of Christ at the temple. According to Jewish law, it was customary to bring a baby to the temple after forty days had passed from the day of the infant’s birth. Jesus would have been taken to the temple on February 2nd, which is when this festivity takes place.
Around the same time, and adding a layer of complexity to my world, I was quickly evangelized on the celebration of the Superbowl, which could very easily be considered a holiday. Intriguing as the game is, though, I have always been more fascinated by the soap-opera worthy plots, the off-the top commercials, and of course, the food.
Food was my easy way in, and when I was first asked to bring a dish to the party I thought it would be clever to bring chicharrón… I thought, this is really “pig skin” after all.
For a quick and easy to make a snack, serve chicharrón in a molcajete with avocado, salsa and warm tortillas.
- January 19, 2015 Food: How it Makes Words Delicious. From the Series #DíloconSabor (Say it with Flavor)(0) Comments
- December 24, 2014Rollo de Pechuga de Pollo - Receta Navideña del Chef José Bossuet(0) Comments
- December 16, 2014Art and Heart: A Culinary Showcase by Ron Aleman at Sophie's(0) Comments
- December 12, 2014El Ponche Navideño, Deliciosa Tradición(1) Comments
- December 2, 2014Esquites con Sal de San Felipe: La Receta de la Chef Atzimba Pérez(0) Comments
- December 1, 2014The Perfect Complement to Great Food. Tips & Recipes by Rick Bayless. (Sponsored)(0) Comments
- November 25, 2014Pair your "Pavo" like a Pro - Cava Córdova's Head Winemaker Shows you How(1) Comments
- November 22, 2014Nuestra Mesa: Quesadillas de Caracol(0) Comments
- November 12, 2014A Sip of Heaven: Chocolate Champurrado(4) Comments
- November 3, 2014AlXimia: The Art and Science of Extraordinary Wine(0) Comments